Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Stagecoach (1939)

STAGECOACH

Relate class discussion/text to screening:
     Stagecoach revitalized westerns and gave John Wayne a start in his career. Westerns were considered "B" movies and Wayne was considered a "B" move actor. Westerns were not in favor for the public and director John Ford was told that making westerns would ruin his career. Stagecoach, as discussed in class, made Wayne legitimate and famous. Wayne ended up working with Ford 24 times throughout their careers.

     
Related article:
     Stagecoach director, John Ford, is the "epitome of an American Director" and proved that by having the most director awards. Three of the four best director awards that Ford won are from his films The Informer, Grapes of Wrath, and How Green Was My Valley. Biography.com mentions how, in 1973, Ford was the first to receive the American Film Institute Life Achievement Award. Ford's career thrived beginning of the mid-1930's. 
(John ford biography. (n.d.). Retrieved October 18, 2015, from http://www.biography.com/people/john-ford-9298806#synopsis)


Apply the article to the film:
     The article that discussed John Ford's life relates to the film because Ford was the director of the film. Also, Ford was able to elevate westerns to "A" status with this film. Although he did not win an Academy Award from directing the film, he was nominated and the film won for best supporting actor and best score. Stagecoach demonstrated the many themes and concepts that Ford captures in his films with his characters and plot. Ford became known for shooting many of his westerns in Monument Valley. Ford can be considered one of the best directors and filmmakers of all time.  


Critical analysis:
     Overall, Ford and Wayne were able to better the public's view on themselves and on westerns. Stagecoach increased the popularity and fame of westerns and gave Wayne a boost in his career. This film, along with its actors and director, was crucial to the time period. What was once a chance to ruin his career, Ford risked it and started making westerns and ended up becoming most famous for them. Ultimately, I enjoyed the film more than I thought I would being that I have never enjoyed westerns. I found it enjoyable that this was this film, that challenged status roles, moral decisions, and the goodness of people, was able to be the movie that sparked interest in westerns. 


Checklist for plagiarism:
1) ( x ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class. 


2) ( x ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper. 
3) ( x ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text. 


4) ( x ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper. 


5) ( x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read. 


6) ( x ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography. 


7) ( x ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality. 


8) ( x ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment